I wanted to share an awesome gift idea with those of you who don’t follow us on Facebook. In fact, I bought one for myself just yesterday!
It’s a lovely calendar filled with pictures of big, fluffy rescue dogs. The proceeds go to Big Fluffy Dog Rescue. They promise their signature snark (if you don’t know what I mean, then you really ought to follow them online) and even some very unusual holidays.
Sunny has come a long way since he joined our little pack. Just a couple of small issues to fix and he’ll be ready for his forever home! Unfortunately, terrible lighting in my new apartment means I don’t have very many good pictures of my handsome boy, but I assure you, a photo shoot is on the to-do list.
Adoptable Golden mix, Sunny, is ready for a forever home! Through Aussie And Me Animal Rescue.
Sundance has learned a few ‘tricks’ while he’s been here. More importantly, he has learned how to be a good indoor dog. Thankfully, he came to us potty trained. Now he noses his leash when he needs to go outside, walks very nicely on leash, and knows bed time means going into his crate (which also means a treat!).
Sunny knows his crate is where he can go to rest and stay warm in these “harsh” Florida winters.
Sunny, like Lana, now sits for his food without having to be asked. He comes when called and is learning to shake ‘hands’. I am also happy to report that he lets me brush his teeth!
Sunny is a joy to foster. Easily one of my easiest fosters to date.
Sunny is mild mannered, super sweet, and between his love of food and love of his people, he is incredibly easy to train. Though I’ve never owned a Golden Retriever before, his attitude is exactly as I imagined their trademark easy-going demeanor. He would make an excellent companion for a first time owner or a low energy household. Just give him some toys and he’ll entertain himself!
Sunny is tired of waiting for his forever home! Won’t you share him so he can find his family?
So he’s pretty much perfect, right? Basically! All he needs before he can be adopted is to be neutered (already scheduled for this Tuesday) and to be de-wormed again. Easy enough!
When he isn’t playing or begging to be petted, he is usually found napping.
So maybe you’re thinking “I should adopt this dog“. Yes! Go for it! Just fill out an adoption application on the Aussie and Me website and tell them Sundance sounds like a long lost member of your family! Or, maybe you’re thinking “Geez, what a cool dog! I can’t adopt a dog right now, but I sure wish I could temporarily have a dog like this one”. Oh boy, do I have good news for you! Sunny’s former housemate, Joe, needs a new place to go! He’s currently in a wonderful foster home, but he needs something a little… different. Both Sunny and Joe were beat up on by other dogs in their old home. Sunny and Lana get along well, but Joe is afraid of his large foster sibling. He needs a foster home with a calm, smaller dog or no dog at all. I’ve never met him, but am told he also acts like your typical Golden.
Joe must find a new foster home where he can feel safe and loved. Please share to help him find a new foster home!
Isn’t he gorgeous?! If you’re interested in helping this handsome boy blossom into his true self, please contact me or send a message to Aussie and Me either via e-mail or Facebook. He is currently in Jacksonville but I imagine he could travel a little for a good home.
When I was in college, I got my first credit card. I went with the recommendation of a co-worker and signed up for the Discover student card. (I actually still need to change over to the non-student version, since I graduated.)
It was a fantastic decision. I love love love my credit card and highly recommend it to all my friends. I’m only slightly motivated by the promise of my friend and I getting bonus cash when I refer them. 😉
Anywho, there are about a billion options for card designs. I choose a couple of Golden Retrievers. I am asked all the time if they are my dogs. It takes all my self control to not say “You kidding? My girl is wayyyy cuter!” Except those Goldens are darn adorable.
So why do I want a new credit card? Because while poking around on Facebook today I saw a post from the Humane Society of the US. Apparently, they’ve teamed up with Discover to offer a credit card that donates to the HSUS with every purchase!
After I make the switch to the grown up card, and double check to make sure I’ll still get the same benefits with the new card, I intend to add it to my wallet. Best news? Discover is very cool about letting me have multiple cards. So, if for some reason I don’t want to use the HSUS card, I can use my Golden card!
More examples of cute Discover cards (all pictures, unless otherwise specified, borrowed lovingly from Discover.com):
So I’m sure you’re asking yourself if I’m getting paid for this little “advertisement”. The answer is: NO! Discover and the Humane Society don’t even know who I am! I just really like my credit card. And I like lazy ways of helping charities. Because I am both lazy and charitable. If you’ll notice, I didn’t even put in a referral code. See? I’m such a great friend, aren’t I? I’m doing this to help you!
That’s right, I’m still alive! Long time no see, right? I’m fixing that. What perfect timing with NaNoWriMo staring in a week, right? Anyway, because of my current pet-less state, this post really isn’t about dogs. It’s about meeeeee. (Yay?)
So, what’s new with me?
1. My parents sold their house! Which means they get to move to a town home where my little Warrior Princess, Lana can be a spazz all over the place. I wish them the best of luck, because frankly I think Lana might drive them insane in a small place.
2. I miss Lana and I’m super thrilled I’m halfway through my internship, because I can’t wait to live with her again. But, I’m grateful Lana has been having a blast with my parents. She’s really a funny girl. As I’ve mentioned before, she’s not a fan of most men – at least not at first. But once she’s used to them, she’s as goofy and lovey as she is with anyone else. See?
3. I’ve spoken to someone higher up in animal care at Disney, and he seemed to like me. (Or I’m completely delusional, wouldn’t be the first time.) Even better, I’ve applied for a few jobs at animal shelters throughout Florida. There is only one where I really feel like I have a decent shot at getting hired, but I’d gladly take it. Cross your fingers for me, y’all!
4. I am living with 5 girls I’d never met before (and we often have a mutual friend over), and I LOVE it! It’s very odd to go from living alone to this, but it couldn’t be a better situation. There is such a fascinating mix of personalities and interests. We all get along, and frankly we’re just an awesome group of girls.
Caroline (Animal Kingdom), Me (Contemporary Resort), Aurora (EPCOT), Elana (EPCOT), Karen (Hollywood Studios), Amy (Animal Kingdom). Plus the photo was taken by the very talented Zach.
Matching Panda hats, because Pandas are adorable.
5. Did I mention I work at Disney? And I go to Disney whenever I want? And I can see Cinderella’s castle from home work (it feels like home)? And sometimes the guards even get to see the fireworks as we walk to our cars! It’s so cool. I love that Disney World is my backyard! I just don’t love working.
6. Also did I mention that I’m a lifeguard? So I’m rocking some major Crocs tan lines. As much as one can rock Crocs lines. And blisters. And knee aches. (I don’t recommend it.) I probably wouldn’t choose the same job if I had to do it again (okay, I definitely wouldn’t), but everyone I work with is awesome, and I can survive long, hot days for 10 more weeks. HALFWAY THROUGH!! Then I can be a princess, right?
7. Pretty much the last update for now – I have met some incredible people since I got to Disney. A few other animal advocates, talented musicians, hilarious friends, and very hardworking people who could put me to shame but never would because they’re too darn sweet. One of them is a fellow blogger. She’s planning a cross-country trip where she’ll complete more than 1,000 acts of kindness in 20 states! How cool is that? (And while I do consider myself a well-rounded person, I have to say one day is planned around shelter animals, which is fantastic!) If you’d like to see her tentative itinerary, click here!
I think what she’s doing is super inspirational! I have to wait until my internship ends to foster again, but it’s important to keep in mind there are plenty of good deeds I can do in the meantime! She’s pretty much convinced me that I should make use of my 3-really-long-days-a-week work schedule and do something productive on my days off. Yes, I have “Bless Their Hearts” planned, but maybe tweaking those plans will help me actually get the project started. (It’s a fundraising project, and I hate just asking for money because it makes me feel uncomfortable. Suggestions are welcome, though!!)
She’s selling t-shirts to try and raise money for her trip (because even good deeds aren’t free). They come in customizable colors (I think I’ll get mint green and pink or gray if I can). Otherwise, I know you’re welcome to donate without receiving a shirt if you’d like to help the cause. I just want to be able to wear my shirt and be like ‘look what I helped fund!‘. But that’s because altruism is for people better than me.
Anyway, please check her out! I’ll provide links to her Facebook,her website, and her blog here. Oh, and in case you’re not on Facebook, here is a video she made. Please consider sharing to help her out. (And as always, bloggers love when people share on Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr, Twitter, etc. Especially once Bless Their Hearts goes into motion – hint hint.)
“On March 2, 2014 I will set out on a journey of 1,000 acts of kindness. I will visit 20 states in 20 days in the shape of a heart across America. At each act of kindness I will leave behind a post card inviting others to “pay it forward” and then share their acts of kindness by mailing the post cards back or emailing their stories to me. The end product will be a photo book of love inspired by the heart of a beautiful country. I am out to prove that there are plenty of good people out there and every small act of kindness matters. Please help spread the word by sharing my picture today and liking my facebook page. I need all the support I can get to make this a successful journey Thank you- Kelly Airhart”
A group I follow on Facebook, Big Fluffy Dog Rescue, posted a link to a website that sells super cute animal rescue inspired bumper stickers, magnets, and T-shirts. They even offer some of their proceeds to various rescues!
Tennessee Big Fluffy Dog Rescue, their featured rescue of the week, sent me to their site, so I feel as though I should promote them. Not to mention they take in tons of dogs with serious health problems, including some of the most stunning Pyrenees I’ve ever seen (aside from Precious, of course)! However, you can choose from many rescues if you have a specific group that you would like to receive the proceeds!
So, if you’re in the market for some goods that do some good, the website to visit is: http://www.simpledog.org/shop.html